Viewer Discretion Advised

Movies have long been a reflection of reality and fantasy. This singular function and power of film inspires many to take actions that they would otherwise refrain from. Much like other media, the movie industry has been used as a tool for and against the government.

Today’s society is full of various tyrants such as Saddam Hussein, Muammar Abu Minyar al-Qadhafi and Chong-il Kim. The exploits of these tyrants and their actions have been well covered within the pages of this very publication. However, most of us can neither pronounce their names nor truly understand their tyrannical nature nor what we can do about it. Thus, the following movies explore the various types of tyrants and common methods used to instigate their downfall.

Willow

The tyrant rules this land with an iron fist and a well trained army. It becomes apparent a few minutes into the movie that, as evil a sorceress as she is, she apparently forgot to read Oedipus Rex. Overall, this is a good film albeit predictable and stereotypical of the fantasy genre.

How to deal with a tyrant: Find her daughter and make her fall in love with you.

The Siege

Islamic terrorists are the instigators in this movie but in the end not the tyrants. Instead, the government ends up being scrutinized. Basically, the movie is about the US military, led by Bruce Willis, instituting martial law and turning Manhattan into a Camp Delta. There isn’t much to the plot, characters or even the movie in general, but we need to be cognizant of the lesson this film attempted to teach.

How to deal with a tyrant: Ask for an injunction from the US court system.

Equilibrium

This movie, with its helpings of Fahrenheit 451 and 1984, has a tyrant who is omnipresent and very much a TV screen. Forceful and armed with the ambiguous, yet familiar name of “Father,” he is all-knowing and all-seeing. The biggest problem with this movie is that it came out three years after the original Matrix. Action sequences aside, the storyline is both unique and captivating. While I would stick to the books, the blatant emotional growth and conflict within the movie are well done. How to deal with a tyrant: Cultivate your superhuman strength, agility and precision.

Strange Brew

The tyrant in this movie comes directly out of clich