New Collegetown Apartments Ready for 2005

There’s nothing mysterious about the new construction on the corner of College Avenue and Dryden Road, except who will be the future occupants of the building’s first-floor commercial space.

“I have a long list of commercial tenants but would rather not disclose any names yet. My choice of tenant would be something I personally would not mind living above,” said George Avramis, the property’s owner.

Most likely the spaces will not be leased to eateries, since they lack kitchen facilities, according to William Galley, the building’s general contractor.

The six-story apartment building has 20 fully furnished units, 15 two-bedroom and five one-bedroom apartments with laundry facilities on the premises and parking around the corner.

“The apartments will be competitively priced among the higher-end luxury apartments,” Avramis said.

The project will continue through the winter and is set for completion in May 2005. The units will be available for rent during the 2005-2006 academic year.

Avramis, who has been in the real estate business for approximately 10 years, purchased the property for $925,000 as an investment in April of 2002. With the expertise of architect Jagat P. Sharma and the workforce of Pike Construction Co. of Rochester, construction began in mid-July at an approximate cost of $4.5 million. The budget for the entire project is estimated at $7 million.

Archived article by Annie Ceccarini