Women's Hockey Drops a Pair

The women’s hockey team put up a strong effort against Clarkson and No. 5 St. Lawrence this past weekend at Lynah Rink. But, the visitors just had too much offense for Cornell, and the Red was unable to earn a win in the last weekend of the season.

Clarkson won, 4-1, on Friday night, while the Saints earned a 5-2 win on Saturday. It was the final collegiate game for seniors Jamie Ramenofsky, Maryann Nowak, Pearle Nerenberg, and Lara Kelly.

This year, the seniors led a Cornell team that included a large number of underclassmen. “They were amazing leaders, especially with a freshman class of eight,” said freshman Brianne Schmidt.

Co-captain Ramenofsky will leave the team as a defensive leader, as well as a contributor on offense. She earned 24 assists in her collegiate career. Co-captain Nowak leaves East Hill with 12 career goals, including five this year, while Nerenberg had 31 points at Cornell, including 20 assists. Kelly was a vital part of the Red’s defense in her four years on the team. She also earned eight points for the Red.

“[The seniors] were always willing to help … their work ethic was just amazing,” Schmidt said.

Cornell (3-22-3, 3-16-1 ECACHL) met Clarkson (13-15-6, 7-12-1 ECACHL) on Friday, and the Golden Knights controlled much of the game.

Clarkson opened up the scoring when Emma Madigan found the net at 5:35 of the first period. At 8:27, Clarkson’s Kristi Shaw added another goal for the visitors.

Less than a minute into the second period, Meghan Park scored for the Golden Knights. And at 18:45 of the period, Lindsay Williams scored off a helper from Madigan, giving Clarkson a 4-0 lead.

Junior Jen Munhofen gave Cornell its only goal of the game, when she scored early in the final period. She was assisted by sophomore forward Halina Kristalyn and junior forward Vicki Hodgkinson. Clarkson outshot Cornell, 31-19. Red sophomore goalies Beth Baronick and Sarah McConnachie combined for 27 saves. Baronick had 15, while McConnachie had 12. On Saturday, St. Lawrence (24-5-5, 14-3-3 ECACHL) would also earn a win against Cornell, but the Red played a very strong game against one of the nation’s best teams.

Cornell jumped out to an early lead at 1:41 of the first period, when freshman Caeleigh Beerworth scored on a helper from Schmidt.

The Red would be up 1-0 for most of the period, but at 18:45, SLU’s Emilie Berlinguette found the net on a power play, evening the score at 1-1.

She scored again at 8:14 in the second period, giving the Saints the lead. Rebecca Russell would add another goal for St. Lawrence at 19:29. The Saints took 22 shots in the period. Cornell would score again, however, on a goal from freshman Miranda Callaghan, early in the third period. She was assisted by sophomore Caroline Scott and junior Becky Fisher.

But the Saints would respond, with two goals in the final period. Chelsea Grills scored a power play goal at 6:24, and Christin Powers found the net at 7:02.

St. Lawrence took 51 shots on the day and Cornell’s junior goalie Flora Vineberg had 46 saves on the night.

Archived article by Ted Nyman