W. Hoops Finishes Season

After earnings its first Ivy League win last weekend, the women’s basketball team had the chance to end its season on a winning streak. However, Yale (6-21, 3-11 Ivy) and Brown (18-9, 10-4 Ivy) had other plans, as the Red was on the losing end of the scoreboard twice this weekend to finish the season with a 3-24 overall record, including 1-13 in Ivy League competition.

Against Yale, four Red players reached double figures, but the balanced effort wasn’t enough to overcome the Bulldogs’ offensive outburst.

The Red could not produce in the first half, shooting just 18.2 percent and going without a field goal for 12 minutes. Yale took advantage of the cold streak to run up a 20-point lead on 50 percent shooting. The Red trailed 42-22 at the half.

“We just did not have the intensity,” junior co-captain Hillary Seidel said. “If we play intensely on the defensive half, it really fuels the offense for us. We were really slowing the ball down and taking outside shots, which doesn’t work when you’re not hitting.”

Cornell came out of the locker room recharged and scored the first 11 points of the second half to keep hopes for a win alive. But, Yale answered with a 27-1 run to put the game out of reach.

“It seems to be how our team plays,” Seidel said. “We stick with them, then something goes wrong, and we fight back. It’s frustrating.”

Sophomore Erica Davis had 18 points and six rebounds for the Bulldogs, and freshman Stephanie Marciano had a career-high 14 points.

Sophomores Claire Perry and Amy Lyon each notched a double-double for the Red. Perry scored 10 points and a career-high 11 rebounds for the first double-double of her career, while Lyon added a team-high 14 points and 10 rebounds. Freshmen Lindsey Krasna and Gretchen Gregg each put up 11 points for the Red.

In its final game of the season, the Red fought back from a 16-point deficit before finally falling to Brown, 67-63.

“We knew it was our last game and there’s no way you can’t get up for that,” Seidel said. With 15 minutes left in the game, the Red trailed, 45-29, but refused to give up, drawing close on the strength of a 13-1 run. Krasna made it a one-point game with a basket with 6:32 remaining, but the Bears answered with five straight points. A jumper from Lyon cut the lead to one for a second time, but the Red was unable to create an opportunity for a winning basket. Brown iced the game with three free throws in the final minutes.

Krasna capped her freshman campaign with 19 points and 10 rebounds, both game highs. Perry added 17 points and seven rebounds, while Lyon came up with 14 points and eight boards. Sophomore Katherine Stritzl and Seidel each contributed a game-high four assists for the Red.

The Bears were led by senior center Holly Robinson, who had 18 points and eight rebounds. Sophomore Lena McAffee added 10 points for Brown.

“It was a tough season, and we’re all excited to have that year under our belts and come back next year,” Seidel said. “We have the talent, we just need to get it together.”

Archived article by Olivia Dwyer
Sun Assistant Sports Editor