C.U. Opens Arms to Tulane

Tulane University students and faculty will be offered spots at Cornell, announced interim President Hunter R. Rawlings yesterday, making the decision in the wake of the devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina.

Earlier yesterday, Syracuse Chancellor Nancy Cantor announced that Syracuse University is offering 15 spots to Tulane students until their campus reopens.

Simeon Moss ’73, director of Cornell University Press Relations was uncertain of the exact number of offered spots.

“It’s my understanding that it’s many multiples of that,” Moss said, referring to the number of spots offered by Syracuse. “But there are still some details being worked out.”

The University plans to admit Tulane undergraduate students interested in attending Cornell’s seven colleges. Graduate and post-doctoral students will be offered spots at Cornell’s College of Art, Architecture and Planning, the School of Hotel Administration, the Johnson School of Management and the Cornell Law School. Services at the Cornell libraries will be made available to the new students. In addition, Cornell will likely offer visiting faculty positions to Tulane faculty.

“The entire Cornell community recognizes the terrible plight of our colleagues at Tulane University,” Rawlings said. “We want to do everything we can to help them in their time of need.”

The University has not released specific plans for accommodating the additional students.

“We will be asking folks in the Cornell community to help in the effort, and the Ithaca and Tompkins communities as well,” Moss said.

A number of other schools have also offered similar assistance to Tulane and other affected universities’ students.

“It’s really nice all these schools are opening their arms,” said Alexandra Wachtel, a sophomore from Tulane. “I am heavily contemplating these offers but I haven’t made a decision yet.”

Tulane undergraduate students interested in the offer should contact Cornell’s School of Continuing Education. Tulane graduate students should contact the Cornell Graduate School. More information is available at www.cornell.edu/katrina.