Penn First Among Ivies

Apparently Dorothy was wrong – there are some places like home. Well, at least there was for Brown and Princeton this weekend, as each squad defeated its fellow-Ancient Eight host, including the Bears’ 38-24 win over the Red at Schoellkopf Field. Brown is currently locked up in a second place tie with Princeton – which was victorious at Harvard on Saturday – and Yale, which was disposed of by first-place Penn in Philadelphia.

Dartmouth was the other Ivy team that earned a win against its league foe this weekend, as the Green handed last-place Columbia its third league loss in as many tries on Saturday.

Penn 38, Yale 21

Something had to give on Saturday when the Quakers (5-1, 3-0) met the Bulldogs (2-4, 2-1) at Franklin Field, as each team came into the contest unbeaten in league play. Penn showed that its record was no fluke, as it dominated Yale throughout most of the game, opening up a 38-0 lead in the third quarter on a 5-yard scamper by running back Sam Mathews.

The score was the third of the day for Mathews, who finished the day with 67 yards on the ground on 19 carries.

Yet the Bulldogs showed some fight late in the game, as their quarterback, Jeff Mroz, connected for three touchdowns in the final frame. Two of the scoring passes, a 25-yard toss and a 57-yard bomb, found wide receiver Ashley Wright, who tallied 90 yards on four catches in a losing effort. Mroz ended the game 16-of-26 passing for 187 yards, while his Quaker counterpart, Bryan Walker, completed 10-of-20 passes for 143 yards and two touchdowns.

Princeton 27, Harvard 24

With 7:21 remaining in the game, Crimson quarterback Liam O’Hagan found Ryan Tyler for a 52-yard touchdown to give Harvard (3-3, 1-2) its first lead of the game at 24-20. Yet Harvard’s joy would turn sour in a hurry, as Princeton’s Jay McCareins took the ensuing kickoff 93 yards to the house, to give the Tigers (4-2, 2-1) a lead they would not relinquish.

The win ended Princeton’s nine-year drought against the Crimson, despite the fact that Harvard running back Clifton Dawson rushed for 203 yards and two touchdowns on 35 carries in the game. Princeton quarterback Jeff Terrell led the way for the Tiger offense, as he threw for 200 yards and one score on 15-of-26 passing.

Dartmouth 17, Columbia 6

In a matchup of the Ivy League’s cellar-dwellers, the Green (2-4, 1-2) stifled the Columbia attack, as it allowed the Lions (2-4, 0-3) to accumulate just 45 rushing yards on 25 attempts. Columbia’s only scores were a pair of Jon Rocholl field goals, which were each from 39 yards out.

Meanwhile, Dartmouth got touchdowns from running backs Jason Bash and Ikechi Ogbonna, on runs of 11 and 12 yards, respectively. For the game, Bash tallied 73 yards on 14 carries, while Ogbonna ran the ball 13 times for 71 yards. The Green also notched 224 yards passing, 220 of which came via the arm of quarterback Joshua Cohen, who completed 19-of-34 passes, but also threw two interceptions.

Archived article by Chris Mascaro
Sun Sports Editor