Swimmers Hit Pool in Warmup for the EISLs and Ivies

With their respective championship meets looming next week, the men’s and women’s swimming teams will take to the pool for their final regular-season competitions this weekend, as the men take on Brown at home and the women hit the road to face Buffalo.

After a week off to recuperate for the final stretch of the season, the men’s swimming and diving team (7-2, 5-2 EISL) will take on Brown (2-4, 2-3 EISL) at home in the Red’s regular season finale.

The Red is coming off a big win against Ivy League foe Columbia (6-2, 4-1 EISL), in which the Red was able to win a nail-biter by a score of 157-143 on the road. A win tomorrow would extend the Red’s winning streak to seven consecutive meets.

Senior captain Stefano Caprara is practicing hard for his last varsity meet.

“We’re really confident about this meet,” Caprara said. “But we’re not taking it lightly. We’re going to put out our best lineup.”

The Red is focused on swimming well at the EISL Championships, and the team members are working on perfecting their technique and lineup.

“We might change up a few swimmers in some of the relays,” Caprara said. “For the most part though, what we were doing worked pretty well against Columbia, so we don’t want to change too much.”

This will be a big meet personally for Caprara, the Red’s captain, who was the only Red swimmer to qualify for the NCAA Championships last season.

“I’m feeling great right now. I was swimming through some injuries this time last year,” Caprara said. “This meet against Brown will be my last one for Cornell. So I really want to win it and post some solid times while I’m at it.”

The Cornell women’s swimming and diving team (2-8, 0-7 Ivy League) is also confident about its meet this weekend. The Red is heading off to Buffalo tomorrow afternoon for a tune-up meet before the Ivy League Championships.

The women’s team is also coming off of a bye-week and is eager to get back in the water.

“We’ve been resting a bit and we’re psyched to get in a few races again,” said senior captain Jess Brookman.

Brookman is expecting the meet to be pretty close, but thinks that the Red might have the mental keys to success for tomorrow’s meet.

“This is going to be the last meet for some of our girls who won’t go to Ivies,” Brookman said. “So this is their last chance to put up some great times. We’d really like to pull out a big team win here.”

Because this is the last meet before the Ivy League Championships, the Red has been training differently. The women’s team knows this is its last chance to work out problems before competing in the Ivy championships next week.

Archived article by Lance Polivy