Track Competes at I.C.

After a month of away meets, the track teams stayed close to home this weekend as the Red competed at the Ithaca College Invitational on Saturday. Although a number of Cornell athletes did not compete at the seven-team event, both teams managed solid performances, while freshman Maria Matos set an Ivy League record in the discus.

“It wasn’t the best of conditions, especially with the wind, but I was pleased with the result [of the meet],” said women’s head coach Lou Duesing.

Matos threw 168-10 – a school record that was also good enough to qualify her for the NCAA regional championships.

“It confirms that you never know when or where the great performances might come,” Duesing said.

The women’s squad was also victorious in the hammer throw, as junior Danielle Dufresne threw 160-5 to win the event. Senior Sheeba Ibidunni took second in the hammer throw with a mark of 159-6.

On the track, freshman Jessica Retelny took first place in the 100 meters with a time of 12.57, while freshmen Rachael Moxley was a winner in the 200 with a time of 26.33. Sophomore Katie Reidel took first in the 400 meters with a time of 59.73, and sophomore Anjelica Gregory was victorious in the 800 meters with a time of 2:16.2.

Meanwhile, senior Angela Kudla won the steeplechase with a time of 11:35.65, and senior Christy Planner took first in the 1,500 meters with a time of 4:47.1.

The men’s team won seven events, including a victory from sophomore Jason Brown with a time of 4:07.6 in the 1,500 meters. Freshman T.J. Toro took first place in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.80, while Chris Leonberg was the winner in the 800 meters with a time of 1:59.4. Senior Mikhaile Savary won the 400-meter event with a time of 51.50.

In the jumping events, freshmen Jim Smith, Garrett Huyler and sophomore Mark Stephan tied for first place in the high jump with a jump of 6-2 3/4. Freshman Aaron Gadson took first in the triple jump with a mark of 42-6 3/4, and junior Ryan Kiscadden won the javelin (177-4).

Archived article by Ted Nyman
Sun Senior Editor