Around the Ivies

Brown University’s Alpert Medical School has announced that it will allow students to conduct research in interdisciplinary fields outside of the traditional medical school curriculum. The interdisciplinary research option is intended to provide medical students with more opportunities for academic creativity within their medical school curriculum, the Brown Daily Herald reported.

Penn has announced that it will take advantage of the free advertising space offered by CBS for all NCAA tournament participants and air a 30-second promotional commercial for the University this March. Penn drew criticism last year for turning down CBS when the network offered all Tournament participants a free ad spot worth approximately $300,000, the Daily Pennsylvanian reported.

In an e-mail sent Tuesday to the student body, Dean of Princeton College Nancy Malkiel announced a plan to reform the University’s academic calendar, including the possible addition of an extra week at the end of each semester. According to The Princetonian, the revamped academic calendar is designed to increase Princeton semesters to the 13 weeks currently employed by some of its peer institutions.

Columbia may ban the use of laptops in University classrooms, the Columbia Spectator reported yesterday. The ban was proposed after professors brought the issue to the attention of Provost Elizabeth Boylan and was debated last night at a town-hall meeting sponsored by Columbia’s student government.