Around The Ivies: Football

With the Red’s 38-14 victory over Bucknell Saturday night the Ivy League Football season is officially upon us, and the Red wasn’t the only team in action. Every other Ivy team also began its non-conference schedule with mixed results.
Junior running back Mike McLeod powered visiting Yale (1-0) with four touchdowns and 159 yards rushing to beat Georgetown, 28-14. The Bulldogs rushed out to an early 14-0 lead but the game remained close until the fourth quarter, when McLeod iced the game with his fourth touchdown run with less than three minutes to play, putting Yale up 14 points once again. Bulldog quarterback Matt Polhemus put up 193 yards through the air and Steven Santoro had an interception for the Bulldogs, who are the only Ivy League team ranked in the FCS polls at #21. Yale travels to Ithaca this weekend to take on the Red in both team’s first Ivy League game.
Brown (1-0) started off the season at home against Duquesne, riding senior running back Dereck Knight’s 208 rushing yards to a 28-17 victory. Knight’s performance was the tenth highest rushing total in Brown history, and a career high as it was his first 100 yard game. Bears junior quarterback Michael Dougherty passed for three touchdowns in his first collegiate start, and senior safety Jose Yearwood led the defense with a game-high eight tackles and the game sealing interception in the end zone late in the fourth quarter. The Bears travel to Boston this weekend to play Harvard at 7:30.
Harvard (0-1) traveled to Holy Cross to begin its season, losing dramatically in the final seconds on a 40 yard pass from Holy Cross quarterback Dominic Randolph to receiver Thomas Harrison. In front of more than 10,000 fans for Holy Cross Homecoming, Randolph, who threw for 339 yards and 4 touchdowns, led his team back from an early 14-0 deficit and a 28-24 deficit on the final drive to deal the Crimson its second loss in its last 13 non-Ivy games. Harvard hosts Brown this weekend at 7:30.
Dartmouth (0-1) squandered a 28-0 lead in the third quarter to Colgate, as the Raiders stormed back to defeat the Green in overtime 31-28 on a 36 yard field goal by Mike Buck. Dartmouth junior running back Milan Williams ran for a career high 179 yards, including 111 yards in the first half, and one touchdown to lead the Green, while Colgate’s Scott Jordan rushed for 211 yards and three touchdowns for the Raiders. Dartmouth travels to New Hampshire this weekend at 12:30.
Columbia (0-1) traveled to Fordham, falling to the Rams 27-10. Fordham did most of his damage on the ground, as Xavier Martin and Jonte Coven combined for 53 carries and 296 yards and three touchdowns. Martin’s third touchdown run of the day put the game out of reach and made the score 24-3 with 4:31 left in the third quarter. Earl Hudnell led the Rams defense with two interceptions, which led to two Fordham field goals. Columbia hosts non-conference foe Marist this weekend at 12:30.
Princeton (0-1) opened its season against Lehigh at home, falling to the Mountain Hawks 32-21. The Tigers committed five first half turnovers and had a punt blocked, helping Lehigh earn a 23-0 halftime lead. Princeton quarterbacks Bill Foran and Greg Mroz combined for just 14 completions on 40 attempts, 239 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions for most of the Tigers’ offense. Princeton travels to Lafayette this weekend at 6:00.
In a game marked by stout defense and little offense, the Penn Quakers (0-1) fell to Lafayette, 8-7, in its home opener. Penn led 7-3 with five minutes remaining in the fourth quarter when the Quakers, backed up on their own 1 yard line, were forced to punt. Penn called a risky fake punt, which ultimately led to a safety, making the score 7-5 and giving Lafayette the ball once again. Lafayette never relinquished the ball, driving from its own 46 yard line to the Quaker 10 and kicking the game winning field goal with just five seconds remaining. Penn travels to Villanova to take on the Wildcats at 6:00.