Tennis Teams End Seasons Against Penn, Princeton

As the tennis season wraps up, the standings are far from set in the Ivy League for both the men’s and women’s teams. While neither team can win an Ivy League title, each can make moves in the standings with two wins.
With two games left in the season, the men’s tennis team is no longer in the running for the Ivy League title. In fact, at 1-4 in conference play (6-12 overall), the Red is tied for last place with Princeton. Before traveling to face the last-place Tigers, though, Cornell will welcome Penn to Ithaca this afternoon for a 2 p.m. tilt at the Reis Tennis Center.
[img_assist|nid=29976|title=Stretch armstrong|desc=Junior Josh Goldstein and the men’s tennis team will try to battle out of last place this weekend.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Penn (12-9, 3-2 Ivy) still has an outside shot at capturing the Ivy title, chasing 4-0 Harvard going into the last weekend of play for all the teams. Penn has won three of its last four meets, with wins over Yale, Brown and Dartmouth. Although the Red’s most recent win was against the Green, Cornell also dropped contests to Brown and Yale. The Red has been bitten by some close losses, including 4-3 losses to Yale and first-place Harvard.
Win or lose this afternoon, though, the men will get a chance to pull even or ahead of Princeton on Sunday afternoon. The Tigers (9-9 overall) have lost five of six and four in a row. Their most recent losses came against Harvard (6-1) and Dartmouth.
The women’s team (9-5, 2-3 Ivy) will alternate with the men, first traveling to Penn (9-7, 4-1), and then returning on Princeton (10-8, 3-2) here in Ithaca. Both the Quakers and the Tigers will present stiff challenges with Penn just a game out first in the Ivy standings and Princeton right behind in third. Cornell, in sixth, could theoretically move into a tie for second with two wins and two losses each from Penn, Princeton and Dartmouth.
—Compiled by Cory Bennett