Athletics Announces Hockey Line Procedure

The athletics department will announce the process to obtain season tickets for the men’s hockey team’s upcoming season today. Like last year, a lottery will determine which students will be eligible to buy tickets. Those who are selected will participate in the traditional overnight campout in the Ramin Room of Bartels Hall. The total cost of the season tickets will be $234 for all groups of students.
Students can register for the lottery tomorrow through Friday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., and again next week from Monday to Thursday during the same hours. To register, each student must present a current Cornell ID. There will be no preference given to those who register earlier in the week. However, groups wishing to block out a group of seats are advised to register together to obtain consecutive numbers. If they are selected to purchase tickets, they will be able to choose seats one after the other.
The 1,600 season tickets and seats will be broken up into three blocks. 250 seats, 50 more than last year, will be reserved in sections B, D and G for graduate and professional students. 150 seats in sections A, B, D, E and F will be reserved for 150 seniors who will select their seats first. The final 1,200 seats from those same sections will be open to students from any class. Seniors are allowed to register for numbers in the senior block and the undergraduate block, but only the senior line number will be valid if both numbers are selected in the lottery.
After registration closes, the random drawing will take place. One number from each block of seats will be chosen. That number will represent the start of the range of eligible tickets from that block. Those ranges will be released on Sept. 29 and a waiting list will be established for those outside of the range. [img_assist|nid=31716|title=Lynah’s Lines|desc=The hockey team speaks to fans waiting overnight in the Ramin Room to recieve season tickets last year.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Those holding numbers within the range will have to camp out from 7 p.m. on Oct. 3, a Friday, until 9 p.m. the following day. Like prior years, one student can hold the place of up to four line numbers, meaning not every student has to be present the entire time. However, random line checks will be made during the entire duration and any eligible line numbers missing will be moved to the end of the waiting list.
At 9 p.m. on Oct. 4, the ticket selection process will begin. Students are allowed to wait and select seats with those behind them in line, but no one is permitted to move up in line.
This is the third year that the season ticket process has not seen any major overhauls. During the 2005-06 school year, the location and beginning of the registration process was announced on the radio on a night and time not told to students ahead of time. Once the announcement was made, seat selection was on a first-come, first-serve basis.
This process was deemed dangerous, however, after a mass rush to the registration point led to several student injuries. Since then, the registration process has been announced ahead of time and no preference has been given to those who register early. Two years ago, registration was done online. Last year, Bartels Hall became the registration point.
Another minor change this year is that graduate student tickets will not be cheaper than undergraduate tickets this year. Both will cost $234, a $13 decrease from last year’s season tickets.