Catch It: October 2 – 9

Thursday, 10/2:
Charles Simic, the current Poet Laureate, who originally hails from Belgrade, Yugoslavia, is here visiting our quaint but beloved Ithaca. He will be speaking and reading from his work as part of the creative writing program’s Reading Series. 4:30 PM in HEC auditorium, Goldwin Smith.
Friday, 10/3:
The Panhellenic Association and the Museum Club are hosting “Prom Night” at the Johnson Museum at 7 p.m. Here’s an opportunity to experience it all again. You can look at art and make your own corsages and boutennieres, all while pretending that you are a little less awkward now that you’re in college.
Friday, 10/3:
The Schwartz Center will be presenting Victor Hugo’s Hernani at 7 p.m. as part of the Black Box Series. What could be better than a night packed with love triangles, duels and incest? If you can’t catch it Friday, you still have Saturday and Sunday.
Friday, 10/3:
The prodigal children have returned: Ithaca local band IY will be playing at the Nines at 10 p.m. How could the Nines’ owners not consider a visit from a band whose name stands for “Immature Youth” — a night worthy of letting both real and fake IDers in to enjoy the music?
Saturday, 10/4:
Come spend an evening with one of Cornell’s coolest alums, Oscar nominee Tim Squyres ’81, at the Willard Straight Theater at 7 p.m. He’s edited movies including Ang Lee’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and Robert Altman’s Gosford Park. Squyres will speak, one of his films will be shown and Cornellians can celebrate their very own red carpet superstar. For ticket information, log on to cinema.cornell.edu.
Saturday, 10/4:
Violinist Andrew Bird is playing at the State Theater at 8 p.m. Chicago-based and Suzuki trained, Bird plays early jazz, country blues and Hungarian Gypsey music. He accompagnies himself with voice, whistling, glockenspiel and guitar. At least come to see what a glockenspiel is.