Cross Country Heads to New York City for Annual Heps

The men’s and women’s cross country teams have finally arrived at the weekend they have been preparing for all season long. The Ivy League cross country championships — known as Heps — will be held today in New York City. [img_assist|nid=33165|title=Crossing the New York countryside|desc=The Red has 12 men and 12 women representing the squad at the Ivy League cross country championships in New York City.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
The men finished second to Princeton a year ago and would probably be pleased if they are able to match that result. Princeton once again looks like the team to beat in the conference, but the Red has a strong contingent of runners poised to finish near the top of the Ivy League standings once again.
Senior Zac Hine placed second for the Red a year ago and will try to add to his Cornell résumé in his final Heps appearance. His classmate, Andy Miller, was fifth for the Red a year ago and hopes to have one more impressive showing at Heps before graduating. As a rookie, Adrien Dannemiller showed his promise by placing fourth for Cornell, and 22nd overall, at Heps in 2007.
Those three will represent the Red along with senior Sam Luff, juniors Joel Frost-Tift, Charlie Hatch, Hassan Shalla and Pete Loy and sophomores Nate Edelman, Drew Hart, Max Kasak, and John Means. Only the top-5 scores count toward the team total.
The women’s team will look to rebound after finishing seventh a year ago. The Red placed third in 2006 and was plagued by a lack of seniors last year. This year’s team is more experienced and much better positioned than it was a season ago.
Senior Marie Parks, junior Stephanie Pancoast and sophomores Kim Standridge and Katie Sullivan all scored for the Red at Heps last season. All five are back with the team and have a year of additional experience under their belts. The fact that Cornell added new talent without losing anyone to graduation should be a sign that the team can anticipate better results this year.
At Heps, the men will compete in a five-mile race, while the women’s race is 5,000 meters. Both races will be held today at Van Cortlandt Park in the Bronx. Princeton is the defending champion on both the men’s and women’s sides of the event.