Track Heads to Penn State For Sykes-Sabock Challenge

The men’s and women’s track and field teams are off to the races at Penn State this weekend. The Red will compete at the Sykes-Sabock Challenge Cup against athletes from the USTFCCA No. 10-ranked host school, as well as from Appalachian State, Akron, Bucknell, James Madison, Kent State, Liberty, West Carolina and West Virginia.
Events at the Horace Ashenfelter III Track will begin tonight and conclude tomorrow afternoon.
“As it is for most of the meets for the men’s team, all of them are in preparation for the Heps. So we are not going at it full strength,” said head coach Nathan Taylor. According to the coach, the men’s team will be spread out, much like it was last weekend, as athletes will also be competing in Boston.[img_assist|nid=34821|title=Leisurely leap|desc=Sophomore Julian Remouns and the men’s track team will not compete at full strength in anticipation of the Heps.|link=node|align=right|width=|height=0]
However, sophomore jumper Julian Remouns is still anticipating the meet. “I am very excited about the track meet because … we have a lot of talent and potential on the team. … We are going to use the meet to give our all and it’s going to be a turning point. We’re going to be stronger for the [Heps] Championship.”
There are several Red athletes worth following closely during the meet according to Taylor, who is “very interested to see how [senior] Sage Canaday performs in the 5000-m … [Canaday] was an Olympic trials qualifier in the Marathon and Heps champ in [the] 10K. He is the only college kid in American to qualify for the Olympic event.”
The coach is also looking forward to the performance of senior jumper Garrett Huyler, who did not compete last weekend.
The women’s team will also be suiting up at Penn State this weekend. Coming off two victories last week, in which two athletes became NCAA qualifiers, the team will hope to repeat its success at this weekend’s meet.