Track Splits Up to Compete At Home and In New York City

This weekend Cornell will play both host and guest. After two busy weekends away from Ithaca, some members of the Red men’s and women’s track and field teams will compete in the Robert J. Kane Invitational in Barton Hall Friday and Saturday. Barton Hall will be alive with activity as 25 teams meet for the Kane Invitational.
[img_assist|nid=35083|title=Spot your landing|desc=Senior Garret Huyler will return to competition this weekend, hoping to return to his high mark.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Similar to last week, the squad will be split again this week. A number of team members will travel to the Armory in New York City to faceoff in the Virginia Duals on Valentine’s Day. The meet features nine Eastern regional teams including Ivy League foes Brown, Columbia, and Pennsylvania.
After more than a week off from competition many of the men’s critical components should be back for this weekend’s meets. After nursing some nagging injuries senior thrower Erik Roneker will return for the Viginia duals this weekend. Despite his setbacks Roneker has his eyes set on lofty goals in the city.
“[The injuries] are getting a little bit better but I still have some recovery to do,” said Roneker. “Personally, [I’m looking] to get personal bests in both events, the shot put and the weight throw … Hoping that a personal best can result in a national qualification in the weight throw at least”
Senior Garret Huyler will look to get back to his usual form after an irregular performance last week. As Cornell’s all time leading high jumper, he missed his mark by 4 inches due to a series of technical faults. Men’s head coach Nathan Taylor said Huyler was “explosive” during practice and believes he will be ready this weekend.
After straining her hamstring in the 200-m, Krystal Williams was still able to have a strong showing in the 60-m a few races later. After a week of rehabilitation Williams is eager to get back out in competition but may be held back one more week to get ready for the Heps.
“It felt a lot better,” said Williams. “I thought I was going to pull it … Im feeling a lot better I am able to all the workouts now. My coach is thinking about keeping me out this weekend just so I can rest up. I would prefer to be at the Armory running this weekend but I’d rather holdout because I know Heps is coming up and I want to be healthy for Heps.”