Sports Briefs: 3-6-2009

Fencers Travel to MIT For NCAA Regional Championships

This weekend some of the fencers will head to MIT for the NCAA Northeast Regional Championships, where each squad will face off against about 40 other women from 19 schools. 10 fencers from each weapon will make it to the NCAA Championships held at Penn State on March 19-22; each school can send a maximum of two members per weapon.
Team and co-epee captain junior Katherine Thompson, junior Sallie Dietrich and junior epee co-captain Tasha Hall will represent the Red’s epee squad. All three qualified for the Championships last year, but Thompson could not attend since she would have been the team’s third delegate.
Foilists sophomore foil co-captain Jessica Tranquada, junior co-foil captain Dana Baines and freshman Rebecca Hirschfeld will also attend the Regionals. Tranquada attended the Championships last year. Hirschfeld is expected to place well, seeing as how she earned a bronze medal at last weekend’s IFA championships.
Rounding out the Red’s delegation are sabers senior co-saber captain Alex Heiss, sophomore co-saber captain Gwen Waichman and junior Katie Halpin. Heiss also made it to the Championships last year, placing 13th.
The team placed 11th at last year’s Championships at Ohio State despite competing without a men’s team.

—Jasmine Marcus

Fresh Off Heps Title, Track Heads to Boston For IC4A Championships

After taking the Indoor Heps Championship a weekend ago, the men’s and women’s track teams will travel to Boston this weekend to compete in the IC4A Championships. Boston University, last year’s host, will be holding the two-day competition this weekend.
Last year the men came back with a twelfth-place finish, while the women captured seventh.
After a strong season in which the men had 32 IC4A qualifying marks going into the weekend, and the women posted 34 qualifiers, the Red will look for better team performances this year.
For a number of athletes, it will mark their first time competing at the IC4A competition; thus, the Red will rely on senior leadership from the likes of Erik Roneker, Jeomi Maduka and Garret Huyler, all of whom have competed in the Championship season before.
Saturday will consist of mostly trial runs, while Sunday features a number of final events.

—Brandon Cohen