Sports Update 3-29-2009: Men's Hockey To Take on Bemidji State Tonight With Frozen Four Spot On the Line

Check Monday’s edition of The Cornell Daily Sun for additional coverage

Men’s hockey: 3, Northeastern: 2

Senior Evan Barlow continued his late-season hot streak and scored the game-winner to lift Cornell to a 3-2 comeback win over Northeastern. The Red advances to play in the finals of the NCAA Midwest Regional at 8 p.m. ET on Sunday against the winner of Notre Dame-Bemidji St.
The two teams, noted for their similar styles, both played well in the contest with Northeastern taking the 2-0 lead in the second period. Northeastern goalie Brad Thiessen, the Hockey East Player of the Year, was stalwart between the pipes for the Huskies, but junior Blake Gallagher, who has been nursing a leg injury for the past few weeks, managed to slam one past Thiessen with 2:02 to play in the second period, pulling the Red within one.
Cornell tied the game on the power play in the third period when junior co-captain Colin Greening deflected a shot by Barlow past Thiessen.
The final Cornell goal came with 18 seconds left in regulation. Gallagher found sophomore Riley Nash in the Northeastern zone. Two Husky defenders converged on Nash and the forward fell to the ice, but managed to drop off the puck for Barlow who was streaking up from the Cornell end. Barlow beat Thiessen with a hard shot between the legs. The goal was Barlow’s sixth game-winner of the season, good for fourth in Division I hockey.

Men’s lacrosse: 21, Penn: 11

Junior attackman Ryan Hurley scored five goals and the Red offense had a field day against Penn’s leaky defense in a 21-11 win over the Quakers. The Quakers hung close early on, and the two teams traded goals to end the first quarter with Cornell clinging to a 5-4 lead. Penn scored the early goal in the second period to tie the game, but that seemed to jump start Cornell’s offense, which scored seven consecutive goals to put the game away.
Penn’s Craig Andrzejewski finished with three goals and one assist to lead the Quakers. Penn goalie Joe Hegenen allowed 12 goals and made just six saves before being replaced at halftime by Greg Murray who allowed nine goals and made seven saves.
The Red’s 21 goals were the most scored in a game under head coach Jeff Tambroni.

Women’s lacrosse: 8, Princeton: 15

Men’s tennis: 3, Columbia: 4

Women’s tennis: 6, Columbia: 1

Baseball split its doubleheader with Brown.

Softball won two games against Brown.