Red Looks to Protect Perfect Ivy Record in Makeup Doubleheader

This afternoon at Niemand-Robison Field, the softball team looks to maintain its standing as the only Ivy League squad undefeated in conference action.
On a 10-game winning streak, Cornell (21-5, 2-0 Ivy) will host Yale (10-12, 1-1) today beginning at 12:30 p.m. The twinbill had been scheduled for Sunday — a day after the Red swept a doubleheader against Brown by a combined score of 17-0 to open its regular season — but was postponed due to the weather. [img_assist|nid=36397|title=Wave good-bye|desc=Junior Alyson Intihar hits the bag at Niemand-Robison Field. Intihar is the Red’s top hitter so far this season.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
Yale didn’t have as successful an opening weekend as Cornell, but still came away from its doubleheader at Princeton with one victory. Breaking a 2-2 tie when junior outfielder Lauren Huddleston crossed the plate in the sixth inning, the Bulldogs’ seniors tallied their first win ever over the Tigers.
Yale poses a signficant threat at the plate. The Bulldogs top the league in batting average (.304), with Huddleston’s .529 batting average leading the way. On the other hand, the Red’s pitching staff boasts far and away the lowest ERA at 2.78, with some pop in its bats, as well. Junior shortstop Alyson Intihar, whose batting average of .377 leads the Cornell linup, went 5-for-7 on the day against Brown.
Princeton topped Yale in Game 2, however, also by a score of 3-2.
In that game, Princeton took advantage of three Yale errors — two of which came in the bottom of the seventh, when the Tigers scored the winning run.
With 18 errors this year — the highest tally in the Ancient Eight — the Bulldogs might be their own undoing against the Red today.