Polo Advances to Semis at National Championships

The men’s and women’s polo teams head onward in the intercollegiate national championships for polo this week. Both teams have qualified for the semifinals with strong finishes in their previous two matches. The Red continues its campaign towards a national championship on Friday, when the men play the winner of Texas A&M/University of Oregon and the women play the winner of a quarterfinal matchup between Kentucky/Texas A&M.
The women’s team finished the season with a perfect 21-0 record. With their perfect record, the team was given an automatic berth into the semi finals on the women’s side of the tournament. The team is well positioned to win a national championship.
The men, who finished the regular season with a solid thrashing of Maryland, took home a 16-4 overall record. The team opened their championship bid against Westmont College. The Red breezed through the early round matchup, 22-15.
The Red’s next matchup may be harder, but Cornell is the apparent in its semifinal matchup. The UVa men’s polo team was given an automatic bid into the semifinals on the men’s side. If the Red can get past their semifinal matchup, UVa will prove to be a tough test. The team has lost in both of its previous meetings this season.
The tournament continues today, and the finals will be played on Saturday.