Golf Finishes 7th at Ivy League Championships

The golf team closed out its season at the Ivy League Championships in Atlantic City, N.J., over the weekend. The Red improved over the course of the three-day, 54-hole tournament but was unable to move up the leader board and finished seventh.
The Red posted a team total of 297 strokes for each of the first two days, while hitting a 295 on the final day to finish the tournament 15-over-par. Columbia won the championship after outlasting Penn to win by one stroke.
Considering the less-than-stellar scores the Red has posted this spring, the squad felt that it produced a strong showing.
“I think we played pretty well,” said sophomore Dan Bosse, who finished second for the Red at 10-over-par. “We definitely lost some shots out there, but it was basically our first decent tournament all spring. I think we can feel pretty good about that.”
[img_assist|nid=37230|title=Line it up|desc=Golf finishes 15-over-par at Ivy League championships this past weekend. The beautiful weather made for great golf conditions, a rarity this season.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]
This weekend had fantastic conditions for golf, a rarity for the Red this season.
“The course was in great shape,” Bosse said. “The first day was a little windy but other than that the temperature was great.”
“The greens were perfect,” added junior Robert Cronheim, who led the Red in scoring, finishing 6-over-par for the weekend. “It was pretty easy to make puts. The other teams just made more puts than we did all tournament long.”
While the spring season was far from ideal for the Red, it was a great year of growth for a young team who will not graduate any seniors. The team got a taste of tournament action; and while the rest of the Ancient Eight will be losing seniors, the Red will be back with more experience under its belt.
“It was definitely a great learning-experience type of year,” Bosse said. “Everybody is coming back next year and everybody was able to get some good experience this year, so we’re excited about where our team can go.”
The Red is expected to pick up at least one to two new recruits before the fall season.
“We might be picking up one or two guys here and there,” Bosse said. “We’ll see if they can adapt to what we like to do as a team and really see if we can make something happen.”
Overall, the Red is focused on the future rather than the results of this season.
“It’s hard to be thrilled with our year as whole,” Cronheim said. “But we’ve definitely got some promise ahead of us. We’re really looking forward to next year.”