Sports Update: M. Lacrosse to Host Hofstra in NCAA Tournament

Men’s lacrosse: 8, Hobart: 7
Men’s lacrosse holds on to defeat Hobart despite not scoring in the second half; team will play Hofstra in NCAA tournament

The Statesman defense and junior goalie Max Silberlicht shut down the No. 2 offense in the country for an entire half on Saturday, but Cornell’s eight first-half goals were enough of a cushion for the Red to get the 8-7 win in its last regular-season game of 2009. The 15 seniors on the Red’s roster were treated to a win in their regular-season finale at Schoellkopf Field, pushing Cornell’s record to 10-3, the fifth straight season with 10 wins. Hobart fell to 7-7.

Silberlicht seemed unbeatable on Saturday afternoon — he shut down junior Ryan Hurley, who is one of the Red’s best close-range scorers, twice when shooting from point blank range. On the other side of the field, senior goalie Jake Myers, who has started since relieving senior Kyle Harer in goal in the team’s 13-12 win over Harvard on April 4, allowed five goals and made one save in almost 40 minutes of play before giving way to Harer. Harer allowed two goals and made five stops in the final 20 minutes of play.

Senior attackman Chris Finn led the Red with two points off a goal and an assist. Cornell fell to the No. 7 spot in the USILA Coaches’ Poll.[img_assist|nid=37407|title=Orange crush|desc=Senior attackman Chris Finn led the team with two points against Hobart.|link=node|align=left|width=|height=0]

The Red received the No. 5 seed in the NCAA tournament and will host Hofstra on Saturday, May 9 at 5 p.m. at Schoellkopf Field. Hofstra was ranked No. 10 in the coaches’ poll.

Menaker’s Game 3 blast lifts softball to Ivy title
Game 1: Cornell 4, Dartmouth 0
Game 2: Dartmouth 5, Cornell 1
Game 3: Cornell 6, Dartmouth 1

Junior Elise Menaker hit a three-run homer in the bottom of the fifth Ivy League tit inning to break a 1-1 tie and sophomore pitcher Elizabeth Dalrymple allowed one run over seven strong innings to hand the Red its fourth Ivy League title and NCAA tournament berth in school history. Dalrymple also pitched a shutout in Game 1 of the series, while classmate Ali Tomlinson took the loss in Game 2 after allowing three earned runs.

Baseball strands 13 runners in season-ending 10-0 loss to Dartmouth
Game 1: Dartmouth 8, Cornell 6
Game 2: Cornell 14, Dartmouth 12
Game 3: Dartmouth 10, Cornell 0

After the team rallied to take a 14-12 slugfest in Game 2 of the series, Dartmouth pitcher Kyle Hendricks struck out nine in 7 1/3 scoreless innings and the Green shut out Cornell 10-0. The Red ends its season with a final record of 17-23, and the squad won its first division title since 2005.

Full recap: https://cornellsun.com/section/sports/content/2009/05/03/baseball-squad-falls-one-game-short-capturing-ivy-league-title

Women’s lacrosse ends tough season with loss to No. 6 Notre Dame
Notre Dame 11, Cornell 9

Cornell led by as much as four, but Notre Dame’s high-powered offense drove the Fighting Irish to an 11-9 comeback win at the regular-season finale at Schoellkopf Field. Jillian Byers had four goals and two assists for the Irish. Junior goalie Kristen Reese was named Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week for her 13-save, five-ground ball performance.