Sports Update 2-13-10: Cornell Rebounds From Loss at Penn, Hangs on for 48-45 Win Over Then-Undefeated Princeton

Men’s basketball 48, Princeton 45

The men’s basketball team rebounded from its shocking loss at Penn in commanding fashion, downing then-undefeated Princeton, 48-45, at Jadwin Gym on Saturday night. With the win, Cornell improves to 21-4 on the season, but more importantly, 7-1 in Ivy League play –– putting it at the top of the Ancient Eight standings once again.

Senior forward Ryan Wittman made two huge shots –– including a signature 3-pointer –– with less than two and a half minutes to play, and Cornell hit four free throws with 22 seconds remaining to hold on for the win.

The Red’s struggles from beyond the arc continued, as Cornell attempted only eight with a 25.0 percent success rate. The visitors shot 45.2 percent overall, and made 8-of-10 from the charity stripe, including several pressure free throws with less than a minute remaining in regulation.

Meanwhile, Princeton (14-6, 5-1 Ivy) shot just 36.4 percent for the game, but were 6-of-14 from 3-point range –– three of which were contributed by sophomore guard Douglas Davis, who led both teams with 20 points (18 of which came in the second half) and made several clutch baskets with time expiring on the shot clock.

Tensions were running high on both sides throughout, and at one point a scuffle between senior tri-captain Alex Tyler and freshman guard Marcus Schroeder resulted in both players being awarded technical fouls.

Check out Monday’s edition of The Cornell Daily Sun for a full-game recap

Original Author: Sun Staff