Men’s Hockey Seeks Win in Coach Mike Schafer’s 500th Game

After Tuesday’s 6-2 victory against Colgate, Cornell moves back into a first-place tie in the conference standings. This weekend, the Red (15-7-3, 12-4-2 ECAC) heads on its last road trip of the regular season –– facing off against its Ivy League foe, Harvard, tonight before traveling to Dartmouth tomorrow.

Although, Cornell has lost its past three matches on Harvard’s turf, the Red hopes to carry its momentum –– from its 6-3 victory in Nov. –– into tonight’s game. Harvard (7-15-3, 7-8-3 ECAC) is coming off a 5-4 loss against St. Lawrence. Freshman Louis LeBlanc leads the Crimson offense with 20 points from 10 goals and 10 assists. Kyle Richter and Ryan Carroll split the time as goalkeeper. Richter has a 3.64 goals-against average and a .900 save percentage, whereas Carroll has a 2.97 goals-against average and a .913 save percentage.

Tonight’s game will be extra special for Cornell, as it marks head coach Mike Schafer’s 500th game at the helm of the Red. With this record, Schafer is the longest tenured coach at Cornell in terms of number of games.

Tomorrow, the Red will travel to Hanover, N.H., to face the Green (7-17-1, 5-12-1 ECAC), who have posted a 1-3-1 record over the last five games. The Red defeated its nemesis, 5-1, at Lynah in Nov., and the squad is ready for a repeat performance. Adam Estoclet leads Dartmouth’s scoring with 26 points on 10 goals and 16 assists. Jody O’Neill has seen the majority of the time in goal, posting a 3.77 goals-against average and a .890 save percentage.

Original Author: Jill Mendelsohn