Men’s Lacrosse Looks to Keep Streak Alive in Home Debut

The No. 8 ranked men’s lacrosse team (2-0) is looking to continue its momentum this weekend when it hosts Army (1-2) tomorrow at Schoellkopf Field.Army leads the all-time series against Cornell with 23 wins in 35 games. However, it is quite obvious that the Red will take this one. Why? Because Cornell won the last meeting nine goals to eight in a very tight match, that’s why.Saturday’s game against Army will be the first of a four-game home stand for the Red. Cornell will arrive at home with a two-game winning streak –– a 9-6 victory over Canisius on Tuesday and a 10-7 trashing against Hobart College last week ––   to face an Army team that has lost two in a row. The team is looking for continued contributions from assisting senior Captain Ryan Hurley, whose three goals against Canisius extended his team-leading goal streak to 34 games.  Hurley has been the crucial fulcrum of Cornell’s attack, tallying a team-leading five goals.  He hopes for continued help from attack-man Rob Pannell, who leads Cornell with six assists.Red is also hoping goalie A.J. Fiore can continue to stand strong and firm between the brass pipes and deflect Army’s assault.  For the Red to prevail, Fiore will have to be up to the task of Army’s tri-pronged attack, which consists of attack-men Garrett Thul, Jeremy Boltus and Tyler Seymour.The victory would also hold important symbolic value for Head Coach Jeff Tramboni: the win over Army would be his 100th victory as the Red’s strategic brain.  Tramboni has not lost at Schoellkopf field since 2008, and boasts a 51-10 record on Cornell’s friendly home turf.Cornell’s last game against Army proved to be a difficult test, but Cornell ultimately prevailed with the help of Max Seiba’s game-winning goal with only 1:00 left.  Cornell will round out its three game home-stand, after playing Army, with games against Binghamton University and UVa.

Original Author: AJ Ortiz