Track and Field Faces Off Against Ivy Foes in Weekend Events

The track and field squad will travel to Princeton, N.J. to compete in the Princeton Invitational tomorrow, before returning home to the Kane Sports Complex for the Easter Weekend Open at 11 a.m. The Easter event was a new addition to the schedule, after the University became aware of favorable weather forecasts predicted for this weekend. The men’s and women’s field teams will have the opportunity to participate in the shot put, hammer throw, javelin, discus, high jump, long jump, triple jump and pole vault. The track squad will run in the 3000 steeplechase, 4 by 100 relay and dashes ranging from 400m to 3000m. The men’s team returns to action after an impressive Spring Break performance at the Cal State Fullerton Titan Twilight which included seven Red victories and seven IC4A qualifiers. Sophomore Bob Belden and senior captain Duane Teixeira each came out on top in two events apiece — Belden in the shot put and discus and Teixeira in the long jump and triple jump. Senior captains Scott Jaffee Josh Kirkpatrick each finished second in their respective events, while sophomore Vince Formica earned a third place finish in his long jump effort. The women’s squad also took part in the events at Cal State, and earned victories in 16 events including nine ECAC qualifications. Sophomore Melissa Hewitt continued her dominance in the competition, earning the second best time in school history, easily winning the 200m race.

Original Author: Evan Rich