Police Search for Suspects in Two Assaults

A Cornell student was assaulted in Collegetown early Friday morning, the Ithaca Police Department said. IPD also reported two incidents near the Commons — one of which included a stabbing — early Friday. None of the three incidents were related, police said.

In the Collegetown assault, a student was hit in the head with a glass bottle on Dryden Road shortly after 1 a.m. Friday, IPD said. Police had not made any arrests in the case as of Sunday night.

The victim, who police did not identify, was taken to Cayuga Medical Center and listed in stable condition on Friday. An updated condition was not available Sunday.

Police say the victim was punched in the head and then hit in the head with a glass bottle. He was bleeding from the head and neck when emergency responders arrived.

The altercation, which took place near Pita Pit on Dryden Road, began when the assailant started a verbal confrontation with the victim, according to an IPD statement. The victim attempted to leave, but the assailant continued the altercation.

Police are looking for a college-aged white male who is about six feet tall and has short brown hair. IPD asks anyone with information to call 607-272-9973.

Stabbing on the Commons

Police also reported an assault on the Commons early Friday morning. A man was stabbed near the corner of State and Cayuga Streets, on the west end of the Commons, at about 1:30 a.m. Friday.

The victim told police a man approached him on the Commons, engaged him in a brief conversation, and then suddenly stabbed him in the abdomen, according to an IPD press release.

The victim was transported to Cayuga Medical Center and listed in stable condition.

The suspect fled north on Cayuga Street, toward Dewitt Park.

Police are continuing their investigation. They said they are looking for a black male who is about six feet tall with “scruffy facial hair.”

Menacing on the Commons

In a third incident early Friday morning, which took place before the stabbing, a man was arrested near the Commons for allegedly threatening another person with a knife.

The suspect, Eric Lee, 26, of Ithaca, began fighting with another man at about 12:30 a.m. Friday, police said. Lee pulled out a knife, “waving the knife around and threatening” the victim, according to the IPD.

As police were investigating the incident, they saw a man — who they later identified as Lee — walking on Cayuga Street who matched witness descriptions. Lee allegedly discarded a knife as police approached him. He was arrested and charged with second degree menacing.

Original Author: Michael Linhorst