Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies Turns 50

The Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies celebrated its 50th anniversary by announcing that it will offer a new postdoctoral fellowship in global affairs and reaffirming Cornell’s commitment to internationalism.

At a symposium celebrating the center’s 50th anniversary, President David Skorton said he hoped to increase the number of students involved in international studies. According to Skorton, only 27 percent of Cornell undergraduates earn credit for international experience, studying or working abroad — a relatively small percentage compared to that of peer institutions that grant doctorates.

“We will immediately work toward the goal of [offering] meaningful international experience for at least half of Cornell undergraduates,” Skorton said at the two-day symposium in honor of the center’s anniversary on Nov. 14 and 15, according to a press release. “We will increase the goals for fundraising immediately, relevant to internationalization, in our current philanthropic campaign.”

The symposium, titled  “International Studies in the American Research University: The Path Ahead” brought together speakers to discuss the Einaudi Center’s achievements, how international studies has developed at other universities, the changing role of international studies in the American research university and other issues, according to the press release.

Prof. Fred Logevall, history, director of the center, said he was pleased with the symposium.

“The next half-century of the center’s existence will bring about a lot of opportunities and challenges. We are poised to do some exciting things,” Logevall said.

For example, at the symposium, Logevall announced the plan for a new undergraduate course on security studies to be taught by two postdoctoral fellows on campus in the fall of 2013.

“To a large extent, the vision articulated by the founders in 1961 has been realized,” Logevall said. “The center has been, and continues to be, a hub for international activity on campus.”

The Mario Einaudi Center for International Studies also announced that it will offer a new postdoctoral fellowship in global affairs, and it reaffirmed Cornell’s commitment to internationalism.

The center is the umbrella organization for 19 interdisciplinary programs across the University, including Area Studies Programs, Thematic Programs and Development Programs. In addition to these programs, the Einaudi Center offers a travel grant program for students undertaking international research and hosts the Bartels World Affairs Fellowship, established in 1984 to bring prominent international leaders to Cornell. The center also has its own International Relations minor in which about 50 students are enrolled.

According to Logevall, the Einaudi Center is one of the leading entities of its kind in the United States.

“It really was a pioneer and we have seen peer institutions create similar kinds of centers,” Logevall said.

According to a press release, Skorton is dedicated to Cornell continuing to invest in its international efforts.

Original Author: Danielle Sochaczevski