Volleyball Head Coach Bernson Resigns

Volleyball head coach Sarah Bernson will not return for the 2012 season and a search for her replacement is underway, according to Associate Athletic Director Anita Brenner.

Bernson resigned from her position after the squad posted its third consecutive losing season in her three-year tenure at the helm, though Brenner declined to say whether the program’s recent struggles played any part in Bernson’s departure.

The job opening was posted on the NCAA website on Jan. 17. While there is no timetable for hiring a new head coach, the process of conducting phone interviews with initial candidates will begin shortly, Brenner said.

“We’re looking for someone with a reputation of being an excellent recruiter,” she said.

For junior setter Sydney Campbell, the void left by Bernson will be a difficult one to fill.

“She absolutely has  a heart of gold, and cares so much about each and every one of her student athletes … I don’t think anyone can dispute that,” she said.

Campbell added that the athletics department “will be taking input from the players when the time comes.”

In her three years leading the Red, Bernson compiled a record of 15-60, finishing 8-34 in Ivy contests. The 2012 volleyball campaign begins next fall in early September.

Original Author: Evan Rich