Arts Around Ithaca: Week of February 27

Cornell Cinema’s Elegant Winter Party: A Magical Melies Evening, 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Willard Straight Theater: This Saturday, waltz into a French-inspired night on the town featuring live music, hors d’oeuvres, a cash bar and a film duo that won’t disappoint. With two Georges Melies related films, Cornell Cinema’s Eight Annual Elegant Winter Party is centered on an ingenious coupling of the 2011 blockbuster Hugo and the 1902 classic, A Trip to Moon. Whether you’re a movie nerd or you’ve missed out on seeing the adventurous Hugo in theatrers, the complementary wine tasting from Ports of New York at 7:30 p.m. will ignite your night with a sophisticated red hue. — Addy Davidoff

Arts of India, 7 p.m. Saturday at Alice Statler Auditorium: The Cornell India Association presents Art of India on Saturday. This live cultural showcase of Indian dance and music features dazzling performances by local favorites Cornell Bhangra, Sitara and Tarana.  C.I.A. is serving more than just a visual feast. Enjoy a complimentary savory simosa and sweet lassi at the show. Tickets may be purchased for $5 each from CIA.TicketBud.com/Art-of-India. — Katherine Carreño

Cornell University Jazz Band: The Music of Gil Evans, 8 p.m. on Friday at Carriage House Cafe Hayloft: The Cornell University Jazz Band, with director Paul Merrill on trumpet, plays the music of Canadian jazz maestro Gil Evans. The show features Evans’ arrangements from his close collaborations with jazz stalwarts like Miles Davis and Claude Thornhill. Evans was renowned for his ability to attract top musicians, as shown in his 1971 album Where Flamingos Fly and his everchanging supergroup that involved illustrious musicians like the pianist Bill Evans. There’s also a touch of rock and roll in  Evans’ music; he worked with guitarist Ryo Kawasaki on an album of Jimi Hendrix song arrangements. Friday’s performance promises diversity and drama. The show is free and open to the public. — Daveen Koh

Fred Frith: Experimental Music and Guitar, 8 p.m. on Wednesday at Barnes  Hall: Experimental music icon Fred Frith joins the campus-wide celebration of his work with an improvisational performance at Barnes Hall.  Frith will be joined by pianist Annie Lewandowski following the intermission. Preceding Frith’s show, join him at the A.D. White Guerlac House at 4:30 p.m. as he discusses the process of making music for film. — Daveen Koh

Other Events:

Ian Bostridge (Tenor) and Julius Drake (Piano), 8 p.m. on Friday at Bailey Hall: Ian Bostridge, one of the world’s leading interpreters of lieder, graces the Bailey stage with pianist Julius Drake. Tickets can be purchased at www.baileytickets.com. — Sun Staff

The Vagina Monologues, 8 p.m. on Saturday at Bailey Hall: Eve Ensler’s Obie Award-winning play amuses, devastates and empowers as it prods women’s sexuality. All proceeds from the show go toward ending violence against women. Tickets are $9 in advance and $10 at the door, from cast members or www.baileytickets.com. — Sun Staff

Original Author: Sun Staff