FOOD HOROSCOPE: What Your Fave Meal Says About You

“What’s your favorite food?” It is a question frequently asked and seldom answered. With such an immense variety of food-styles in the world, many people are simply clueless as to what their food preferences actually say about them. This is too bad really, since it is such an expedient way to get to know someone. In order to alleviate some of the pressure with respect to this subject, I have laid out a (very) brief guide of personality-versus-cuisine, a “food horoscope” perhaps, which I hope will help people decode their dining choices. If your favorite food is…

1)    Steak: You are a true all-American and may or may not own a gun. You are a big fan of barbecues and potlucks, since you realize that eating steak is an experience that is meant to be shared with others.2)    Mashed Potatoes: Thanksgiving is your favorite holiday, and you frequently enjoy stuffing yourself to the point of self-hatred (guilty). You often elect not to microwave last night’s leftovers and inhale them cold instead, especially when they’re mashed potatoes (also guilty). You don’t deny yourself things that you like in life.3)    Sushi: You are most likely liberal, and you probably live in a big city. You like experiencing new things, whether it be food, cultures, places, etc., which is what allows you to enjoy that uncooked octopus tentacle on your plate. Presentation is an important factor in your life; similar to your sushi, you like to keep your life compartmentalized.4)    Mexican Food: You like loud music and merriment. You like to keep things simple, but effective, just like the sizzling, unseasoned beef in your tortilla. As with Mashed Potatoes (see above), you probably find stuffing yourself not painful, but rather satisfying.5)    Indian Food: You like anything spicy. Calories are no object to you (I’m always surprised to hear how fatty Indian food is). You love all colors, and you don’t mind if certain parts of your life spill over into others (like that darn Sag Paneer that just won’t stay out of that Tikka Masala).6)    Spaghetti and Meatballs: Talk about comfort food. You like your food, and other things in your life, to be straightforward and to the point. Spaghetti and meatballs, and Italian food in general, does not ask you to expand your palate, but rather loads it with as many fundamentally delicious flavors as possible. You know what you like, and you stick to it.

Now, I realize that many food groups are missing, and that’s partially because of my limited time and space, but also because throughout my life, I have constantly been vacillating between all six of these as my favorite foods. See, even I have difficulty deciding. Really, it doesn’t matter if you have a favorite or not; what matters is that you eat good food that makes you happy, whether that’s steak or tacos or even just mayonnaise. By doing so, you just may be that much closer to finding true happiness.

Original Author: Jacob Lifton