SUNIFY PLAYLIST #6: Awesome, Modern Movie Scores

It’s pretty difficult for me to study or write a paper while listening to contemporary songs with lyrics. People usually say they love to listen to music while studying, but let’s be honest here: Between the time you spend trying to pick songs and not actually doing the work because the song you’re singing in your head is just too fun, music provides a definite issue when it comes to pairing it with studying.

Sometimes, I end up not absorbing any of my schoolwork because I was too busy singing the words to “Call Me Maybe” in my head. However, I also don’t want to listen to boring classical music that will actually help me pay attention to my work. Where is the middle ground?

The answer? Movie scores!

As a big fan of film, I also really love the music that accompanies the visuals. We often take these composers’ works for granted – I mean, could you imagine Raiders of the Lost Ark without the music? Something that’s great about both classical music and movie scores is that we don’t have to be distracted by the words, and we can combine the sounds with our own existing thoughts. But what’s especially nice about movie scores as opposed to just classical music is that we can associate the music with characters and stories while we listen. This certainly provides an epic experience when you are writing that final paragraph of your essay. You can put on the soundtrack to Batman Begins and write your closing sentence like a badass. During moments like this, life just feels like a movie.

Now, you may already be familiar with some of the classic scores from movies like E.T. and Jaws, but I’ve decided to give you a playlist of some of the more modern masterpieces.

Here’s the link to the Spotify playlist: Sunify Playlist #6: Awesome, Modern Movie Scores

1. “We Love You So” – Carter Burwell (from Where the Wild Things Are)

2. “Kristofferson’s Theme” – Alexandre Desplat (from Fantastic Mr. Fox)

3. “The King’s Speech” – Alexandre Desplat (from The King’s Speech)

4. “Married Life” – Michael Giacchino (from Up)

5. “Ratatouille Main Theme” – Michael Giacchino (from Ratatouille)

6. “I’m Going to Make a Cake” – Philip Glass (from The Hours)

7. “Perfection” – Clint Mansell (from Black Swan)

8. “Rabbia e Tarantella” – Ennio Morricone (from Inglourious Basterds)

9. “Nemo Egg (Main Title)” – Thomas Newman (from Finding Nemo)

10. “Central Park” – James Newton Howard (from King Kong)

11. “Hand Covers Bruise” – Trent Reznor & Atticus Ross (The Social Network)

12. “The Wings” – Gustavo Santaolalla (from Brokeback Mountain)

13. “La valse d’Amelie” – Yann Tiersen (from Amelie)

14. “Time” – Hans Zimmer (from Inception)

Jason Goldberg is a sophomore in the College of Agriculture & Life Sciences. He can be reached at [email protected] . Sunify Playlist appears Mondays.

Original Author: Jason Goldberg