A Signature Cornell Cocktail for Slope Day

A few years ago, the Cherry Pharm craze hit campus. The tart cherry juice was sold around Ithaca, including Wegman’s and Island Fitness. Touted for the anti-inflammatory properties of the Montmorency juice,  the beverage was researched and propelled by a collaboration of Cornell food scientists and entrepreneurs. Most importantly, Cherry Pharm tasted great.

A few years ago, the juice underwent a makeover and was rebranded Cheribundi, with a more Pom-like packaging and marketing angle.

Because Cheribundi tastes so good alone, naturally, my fiancé and I thought it might be a great mixer. We were right. The company doesn’t advertise that, but let me tell you from personal experience, its high intensity cherry flavor, with its faintest hint of cinnamon, makes a fine vodka cheribundi.

So for my last Sun mixology blog, I wanted to craft a signature Cornell cocktail. What better ingredient than a juice product born from the minds and fruits of Upstate New York?  This refined version of a vodka cheribundi is brightened and lightened by fresh lemon juice, like May sunshine in Ithaca, and made bubby like Ithaca’s gorges with a splash of club soda.

Cornell Vodka Collins

2 oz. vodka2 oz. Cheribundi1 oz. fresh lemon juiceclub soda

Shake Vodka, Cheribundi and lemon juice in a shaker with ice. Pour into a highball glass with ice. Top with club soda, stir twice, and serve far above Cayuga’s waters.

Original Author: Daina Ringus