Spice Up Your Life

Autumn has finally come to Cornell. The most obvious indication of this is the metamorphosis of the outdoors from grasshopper green to brassy auburn. There’s also the exorbitant number of distressed faces that can be seen literally everywhere and anywhere you turn, due to the fact that prelims have started and will not stop until they have drained the very last drop of happiness from this campus. However, the ultimate sign that fall is upon us is the reappearance of the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Anybody who knows me in the least knows that I do not drink liquid calories. This came about because I gained about fifty pounds during freshman year from ingesting a ridiculous amount of chai tea lattes, Libe Café smoothies and juices from the RPCC dining halls during meals. Considering that I already eat like a monster, it was absolutely necessary for me to cut out caloric drinks from my life (and how great is it that there’s no calories in alcohol, right?!). The one delectable drink for which I will forgo my “no liquid cals” rules is the Pumpkin Spice Latte.

There is just something about that smooth pumpkin flavor mixed with a hint of cinnamon spice that warms your soul to its very core. Other drinks are drunk for a particular reason, such as out of habit (coffee), for health reasons (protein shakes) or maybe for their sweet taste (juice); Pumpkin Spice Lattes, on the other hand, are consumed because they actually have the power to give you that feeling of a cozy autumn day. Whether or not you plan on making the Pumpkin Spice Latte a one-time treat or a daily habit, you don’t need to break the bank by paying for one at Starbucks; it’s extremely simple to make it at home. Also, this way you’ll only be mere steps away from the comfort of your bed, which you can slip into and watch a Gossip Girl marathon while sipping on your homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte.

Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte, adapted from Averie CooksIngredients:1 cup of milk¼ cup of pumpkin puree (you can get this for really cheap in a can)2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice1 teaspoon of cinnamon1 teaspoon of vanilla extract2 teaspoons of any sweetener (agave, brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, etc.)

Makes 2 servings

Directions:

Original Author: Michelle Kim