Arts Around Ithaca (Week of April 22)

Zero Dark Thirty at Cinemapolis

Last week, an intriguing multitude of news outlets — from CNN to NBC News with Brian Williams — compared the Boston Marathon bombings and its tense, subsequent manhunt to the film Zero Dark Thirty. It is an odd, somewhat sensationalist association, but if you have seen how director Kathryn Bigelow and screenwriter Mark Boal dramatize the hunt for Osama bin Laden, it’s also a comparison that makes a lot of sense. The most controversial film of 2012 commits to a frightening level of veracity, punctuating C.I.A. agent Maya’s (Jessica Chastain) quest to find bin Laden with scenes of terrorism from the tumultuous post-9/11 years. Bigelow blends reenactment with news and archive footage, and leaves all the judgment up to you. See it again, or for the first time, this week at Cornell Cinema.

Hydroponic Installation at 7:30 p.m. on Thursday at Stella’s Downbar

Last semester, Peter Gudonis and Carly Dean received a CCA Grant for their idea to design and construct a hydroponic bottle wall installation with their late adviser and professor, Kevin Pratt. The project has materialized during the past month and they have installed it in Stella’s Downbar. The Downbar is being ramped up with a new menu, brunches, Tuesday whiskey tastings and more, and the installation produces mint, chives and basil to accompany and contribute to their cocktails and dishes. While you can see the installation at any time, there will be an official reception at Stella’s on Wednesday night following a lecture by Dr. Dickson Despommier at Millstein Hall. Take a look next time you’re at Stella’s, or taste some of the basil yourself!

Original Author: Sun Staff