• Sally Newell

Captivity kills and is immensely cruel. Sea Worlds imprison cetaceans in tiny tanks that acoustically blind them, and shorten their lives. Instead of swimming 40-100km per day and living 50-100 years, they are force-fed and drugged, or ripped from their mothers early and live only 9 years on average.

Why would anyone decide to go to a Sea World? From the glossy surface of SeaWorld’s PR machine, parents are offered a pinnacle experience with a chance to connect with nature, a guaranteed feel good factor

Yet under the glossy facade there lies a horrifying tale of kidnappings murders and unbelievable cruelty. Started in 1970’s SeaWorld ripped hundreds of Orcas from their families, many died. After weighted bodies washed up the outcry led to legislation that forbade US Orca captures. Despite the no captured policy many SeaWorld dolphins have Taiji DNA. 17 dolphins die per one kidnapped, the $160,000 or so paid for a “trained” dolphin underwrites this barbaric genocidal slaughter, with agonising 10-20 minute deaths. The kidnapped dolphins are starved then force-fed with a mixture of drugs and dead fish, an then conditioned to do tricks with food deprivation. Many of these dolphins, or their offspring, find their way back to Western countries.

SeaWorlds demands sexual services from its highly intelligent cetaceans, infamously inbreeding direct kin; and the sad results include stillbirths and maternal deaths, and SeaWorld pools echo with the long sad cries of mothers when their babies are taken away from them.

SeaWorld have never released an Orca back to the wild.

SeaWorld pay for severed Beluga male organs, thus funding Beluga slaughter, for their inbreeding program.

Dolphins and whales are highly intelligent and call each other by name. Captive cetaceans have remembered their family members names even after twenty years. Their language is so complexly structured that we may have difficulty in deciphering it for quite some time, and it appears that they use non-linear maths everyday in acquiring food.

It is so wrong to imprison such powerful magnificent sea beings in tiny reflective tanks that effectively blind them. Being ripped from your family and being forced to swim in tiny circles rather in the open ocean just to do tricks for our entertainment, and for huge profits for SeaWorld owners directors and shareholders could be only be described as modern day slavery.

Going to SeaWorld is as educational about cetaceans as a visitor from Mars looking at humans in solitary confinement, or asking the Kings College Choir to sing Three Blind Mice. SeaWorld cites their “conservation efforts and research” but they spend much less than 1% of their gross on conservation, and paid part owners Blackstone 657 Million dollars in less than one year. The directors have been dumping stock and SEAS is on the nose, as the general public wakes up to the awful cruelty at SeaWorld. Where else do animals have to perform mindless tricks to even get fed except at a circus. This is not conservation, but exploitation.

• elizabeth dana

Cornell is world recognized as a highly respected intellectual home of truly wonderful world citizens. Larry the Cable Guy calls Blackfish “Prop -a – ganda”… lots of syllables for a small brain. Larry the Unstable Guy has a new motto for his Sea World show – “Git UM KILLED” BOYCOTT SEA WORLD and Larry the Cable Guy for supporting the coverup of the deaths of trainers and his support of animal abuse!