TRACK & FIELD | Cornell Thrives at Kane Invitational

By LISA AWAITEY

The Cornell track and field team hosted 15 college and club teams this weekend at the Robert J. Kane Invitational in Barton Hall on Saturday. The women walked away with seven event wins and five ECAC qualifications, while the men finished with eight event wins and ten IC4A qualifiers.

The upperclassmen led the Red with strong performances. For the senior men, Montez Blair and Tommy Butler took the top two spots in the high jump, outperforming a field of ten competitors. Junior Will Weinlandt finished as the top collegiate competitor in the 800 meter, finishing with a time of 1:54.63. All three qualified for IC4As.

For the senior women, Anjelique Parnell dominated the competition, placing first in the 60 meter dash and long jump. She was one of just six runners in the 37-person event to break the eight second mark in the 60 meter dash. Classmate Dominique Corley landed just behind Parnell, earning second place for the Red.

The junior men and women also played significant roles in the Red’s victories, all with top five finishes.

Juniors Sam Belcher and Zach Flood placed second in the 1000 and 400 meters, respectively, while pole vaulter Steven Pawlak took third in his event.

Female juniors Corey Dowe, Bori Tozser and Syd Williams took second, fourth and fifth in the mile, respectively, with Dowe earning the top collegiate spot and an ECAC qualification.

Christine Driscoll placed third in the 5K, while Even Bishop pole vaulted to second and Renee McKee threw for third in the women’s weight throw. Abbie Clifford took first place in the 500 meter dash with a time of 1:17.83.

Monique Hall / Staff PhotographerJump start | Junior Will Weinlandt finished as the top collegiate competitor in the 800 meter race Saturday with a time of 1:54.63.