Arts Around Ithaca: Week of Feb. 10

Kate McKinnon

7:30 p.m. on Thursday at Statler Auditorium

Live from New York, it’s … Kate McKinnon!  It might not be Saturday night, but Feb. 13 is sure to be lively when this Saturday Night Live leading lady takes the stage for a night you won’t want to miss.  Straight from the cast of SNL, CUPB presents the popular comedian for a show that is guaranteed to be a hit whether you’ve been a fan for years or just like to laugh (and who doesn’t?).  Known for her fearless comedy, hilarious antics, and spot-on J.B. impressions that could fool even the most fervent of Beliebers, this show is sure to strike your funny bone.

Free for all students, the must-see show kicks off at 7:30 p.m. in the Statler Auditorium.  Cornellians craving a good old-fashioned laugh fest with the right-this-minute humor you know and love from this SNL cast member can pick up their tickets in Willard Straight Hall, compliments of CUPB.

—  Anna Johnson

The Tempest

Friday and Saturday at 7:30 p.m. at Hangar Theatre

The Ithaca Shakespeare Company presents one of the famed playwright’s final and most autobiographical works, The Tempest. The play follows a group of magically-shipwrecked castaways as they attempt to survive, seek vengeance and even find true love. Prospero, the play’s hero, is believed to have represented Shakespeare himself as he bids farewell to the theatre toward the end of his long life in the art. The Hangar will bring the gripping and exciting tale to life for only six performances, so be sure not to miss it!

— Sean Doolittle

Kill Your Darlings

7:00 p.m. on Thursday at Cornell Cinema

Cornell Cinema will bring the Beat Generation to life when it presents the Sundance-acclaimed Kill Your Darlings this Thursday. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as “Howl” author Allen Ginsberg, who crosses paths with other famous authors of the time, all of whom have become embroiled in a controversial murder. The screening will be followed by an open Q&A session with co-screenwriter and Cornell Professor Austin Bunn, Performance and Media Arts.

—Sean Doolittle