ROWING | Men’s, Women’s Rowing Start Spring Season

By TUCKER MAGGIO-HUCEK

With the snow finally cleared from the water, all three Cornell Rowing programs kicked off their spring seasons this weekend. The lightweight rowing team came out of the inaugural competitions with the most success, as its varsity boat beat both Harvard and Penn. For all of the boats, this weekend was a good benchmark as to what the ensuing months with hold for each team.

On Saturday, the heavyweight squad took on Harvard on Cayuga Lake and won a pair of races. The third and fourth varsity boats for the Red started the season off well, defeating Harvard’s boats by considerable margins. In the varsity eight race, the Red finished in fewer than three seconds behind the Crimson, a result which senior Chase Crimmen deemed respectable.

“The race went very well. Harvard was ranked number one in the preseason polls and we typically are much farther behind the pack at this point because of how late we get on the water,” he said. “This was the closest we’ve been in our first race in my four years here.”

Tina Chou / Sun Staff PhotographerThe men’s heavyweight team took on Harvard at home, winning a pair of races by a large margin. The Red was unable to win its other races, but finished a lot closer to Harvard than in the past at this point in the season.