GOLF | Red Places Sixth at Cornell Invite

By JOHN MCGRORTY

The Cornell University men’s Golf team competed this past weekend in the Cornell Invitational at the par-71 Robert Trent Jones Golf Course. The Red closed out the Invitational on Sunday with a sixth-place overall finish. Dartmouth College finished first overall, one stroke ahead of Delaware University and the University of Pennsylvania who finished tied for second.

Overall the Red finished with a total of 299 team points in the final round. With phenomenal rounds from freshmen Mike Graboyes and Christopher Troy as well as sopomore Luke Graboyes, the Red still has a lot to show for after the home event.

Despite playing in tough conditions, Senior captain Jonathan Kligman said the squad was not content with its results.

“We were disappointed by our finish. … Although the conditions were tough we were expecting to play a lot better,” he said.

Sophomore Luke Graboyes said that the team was competitive in each round, despite ultimately falling short of a top finish.

“Our team takes away a mixture of feelings from the Cornell Invite,” he said. “We finished only eight shots out of first place even though we finished 6th overall. We played well enough to be in contention but fell just a few shots shy of one of our best finishes in the past year.”

Junior Brandon Eng finished with a three-day total of 231 to tie for 26th place overall and second place among the Red. (BRIAN STERN / SUN STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER).