Historian Nancy Isenberg discusses her new book White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America in Goldwin Smith Hall on Thursday.

Corinne Kenwood / Sun Staff Photographer

‘White Trash’ Occupy ‘Fundamental Part of Our History,’ Professor Says

Prof. Nancy Isenberg told the history of American politics through the experiences of “white trash” to a packed Lewis Auditorium Thursday.

Isenberg, a history professor at Louisiana State University and author of White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America, outlined perceptions of impoverished white Americans throughout the country’s history, dating back to British colonialism. She said colonial elites stigmatized the white poor in a time when land and property ownership were essential symbols of class.

“First known as ‘waste people,’ … and later ‘white trash,’ marginalized Americans were stigmatized for their inability to be productive, their failure to own property, and their unhealthy children,” she said.

Isenberg explained how many elites saw social class as something heritable by blood and used the language of breeding in a way that dehumanized poor white people.

“It was about an imposed inheritance in which poor whites could not be saved by charity or assimilated into normal society, because it was their corrupt pedigree that determined their fate,” she said.

Ill-will for this marginalized class was not confined to a small fringe of elites. Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin both supported western expansion as a means of taking “white trash” elsewhere, Isenberg explained.

“They argued that the poor would be drawn into the western territories, and this would alleviate high concentrations of poverty and population along the East Coast,” she said. “What they were talking about wasn’t a promise of upward mobility. They were promising horizontal mobility instead of upward mobility.”

The concept of ‘white trash’ existed for long after the revolutionary era, playing a large role in Civil War tensions, Isenberg said.

“Abraham Lincoln’s new Republican Party celebrated free labor and social mobility, and Southern white trash became a very potent symbol for Republicans of the stagnant, slave-based economy which trapped poor whites as a permanent underclass,” she said. “As a response, Confederates openly defended a racial and class hierarchy.”

Even into the 1900s, poor whites remained marginalized, Isenberg said. A eugenics and sterilization movement against poor white people emerged in the early 1900s, and a downward trend in social mobility would soon follow during the Great Depression. Later that century, in the 1950s, “white trash” became a class of trailer-dwellers. Isenberg placed these phenomena in the context of class politics.

“What this story… tells us and what it reminds us is that class has never been about income and financial worth alone,” she said. “It has been fashioned in bodily and corporeal terms.”

Isenberg concluded her talk by emphasizing how white poverty fits into American society and perceptions that continue today.

“I wrote [my book] because white trash, I believe, is a central and disturbing trend in our national narrative. The very existence of such people is proof that American society obsesses over the mutable labels we give to neighbors we wish not to notice,” she said. “My message is, they are who we are, and have been a fundamental part of our history and our political culture, whether we like it or not.”

8 thoughts on “‘White Trash’ Occupy ‘Fundamental Part of Our History,’ Professor Says

1. Know who else was “White trash” ?
    Thomas Edison
    Born poor, received no formal education, and grew up in Ohio, Michigan, and Kentucky.
    Weird how the greatest inventor the world has ever known was “White trash” … hmmm

2. Guys I need some moccasins and pastel colored chinos … I don’t wanna be white trash anymore … help put please? anyone?

3. Excuse me, I’m “white trash,” you sick, over-paid, intellectually diseased sycophant, Isenberg — am a Jew, like you, and spit in your face — only the Zionists in my family survived the Nazis, precious one.

I came over on the boat from Israel and waited, with my family, 7 years to be naturalized– unlike the dirt bags waving Mexican flags in L.A. in defiance of Trump. Father had education, little else, unlike the stinking mass of illegals fawned over by you and yours and the media. My father, who came over here, without 2 pennies to rub together, raised two doctors, not leaf blowers or dry wall hangers or tattooed L.A. gang bangers.

Hate you, Obama, Clinton & Colbert … all you lying, greedy lib hypocrites. Hate the din of conformist pigs and your music, clothes & movies. Hate ideology of any sort.

I only wish you would shut up for a few minutes, please, shrike.

Graduated Cum Laude from prep school & Cornell. Am a board certified medical specialist, and thus have forgotten more than you’ll ever know, loud idiot.

You look like a woman a sober man wouldn’t touch with a ten foot pole with a condom on the end of it.

What, Isenberg, are you trying to prove, other than the fact that you are a grotesque caricature of unbridled ego?

Love Webern and Haggard. Voted for Trump. Drink beer and spit on CNN. Yeah, mother, I’m a redneck.

4. Call impoverished white people “white trash”, nobody bats an eye.

Call impoverish blacks “criminals”, every liberal loses their mind! Muh racial profiling! Muh police brutality!

You know what, the “white trash” keep to themselves, I like them better.