Women Squashers Compete in Princeton Tourney

The women’s squash team, riding a four-game winning streak travels to Princeton this weekend to compete in the Constable Tournament and the Princeton USSRA skill level tournament.

After turning in a performance at the World Championships in England, junior phenom Olga Puigdemont Sola looks to lead the Red to victory once again. Puigdemont Sola will be joined by veteran senior Kellen Heckscher in the Constable competition. The top 16 ladies in the NCAA are invited to the tournament.

The junior from East Hill should be an early favorite in the tournament, having defeated last year’s national champion in play this past fall.

Eight other players from the club will represent Cornell in the Princeton USSRA engagement. Featuring some top high school and prep talent, the get together is significantly less competitive than the Constable Tournament.

“Its not a whole lot of pressure. [The tournament] is basically an exhibition that doesn’t effect our NCAA seating,” explained head coach Beverly Tunnicliffe.

The rendezvouz at Princeton comes on the heels of the most formidable part of the club’s schedule. In the coming weeks, the Red travels to national studs Bowdoin and Bates and then duels perenenial powerhouse Trinity.

Currently sporting a No. 5 national ranking, the Red is already preparing for play at the Howe Cup in New Haven. With indications for a first round match against Penn, the squad remains optimistic, having lost narrowly to the Quakers with Puigdemont Sola absent.

Archived article by Gary Schueller