Golf Improves Overall Play at Lafayette Invite

After an 11th place finish out of 17 squads at Lafayette this past weekend, the men’s golf team seems to have found some consistency as it enters the second half of its season. The Red placed a disappointing 17th out of 21 squads at Towson University in its only other contest of the year. However this weekend’s invitational saw it improve its finish.

“Our team had a solid performance,” said senior co-captain Dave Nayak. “This was a big boost of confidence.”

As a team, the men edged the host squad, Lafayette, which finished in 12th place, by three strokes. Cornell ended the tournament with 618 strokes. Comparatively, Lafayette finished with 621. First-place Duquesne shot a 590.

However, the Red had some noteworthy individual performances from members of the squad. Sophomore Justin Watzka and junior Justin Gatwood had the best finishes fir the Red, tying for 22nd-place in a field of 84 golfers. Senior co-captain Dave Nayak demonstrated his usual consistency, finishing 50th.

“We played well,” said Nayak. “But, it was great to see Justin Gatwood perform to his potential. We”re looking forward to seeing great things from him [in the future].”

Cornell was the only Ivy League team at the tournament, however, it will change pace as the team faces its conference foes in its next competition. Cornell travels to Jackson, N.J. this weekend to play in the Ivy tournament. Nayak emphasized its importance.

“[This weekend] will be our most important weekend of the year,” he said. “We look forward to competing.”

Archived article by Michael Pandolfini