Track Impresses at Lafayette

While athletes, coaches, and fans await the official results of the Lafayette Invitational, one thing is clear: the Cornell track teams are very good. Due to a problem reporting times by Lafayette College, no official records are yet available, but the reported finishes tell the story of the Red’s stellar weekend.

The 16th ranked men won five events on Saturday. In the 800 meter, the Red cleaned up, taking first through fourth. Senior co-captain Aldo Gonzalez won the event and was followed by teammates sophomores Gordon Hall and James Connolly, and juniors Sam Mackenzie and Mike Allen. Senior co-captain Rahim Wooley won the 200-meter and finished second in the 100-meter. In the 400m dash, senior Mike Nanaszko finished second. He also had a strong showing in the 200-meter race, finishing third. Freshman Brad Baird won the steeplechase, while sophomore Greg Simonds, Hall, Gonzalez, and freshman Kolby Hoover combined to win the 4×400 relay. In the field, the Red continued its successful campaign, as four members of the team placed first or second in their events . Senior co-captain Giles Longley-Cook won the hammer throw. Senior Adam Sansiveri and freshman Evan Whitehall placed first and second in the pole vault, respectively. And, in the high jump, freshman David Pell and sophomore Pat McDonough finished tied for first.

The women, ranked 13th nationally, won ten of eleven events they entered. The day started on the right foot when sophomore Emily McCabe won the 3000-meter race. The success continued in the steeplechase where junior Alyssa Simon, freshman Robyn Ellerbrock, and sophomore Angela Kudla finished first, second, and third, respectively. In the 1500m run, juniors Kate Boyles and Alison Koplar placed first and second in that order, and the Red then continued to clean house when it swept the first three places in the 100-meter hurdles. Senior Hannah Garrity led the way and was followed by freshman Stephanie King and sophomore Jamie Greubel. Junior Amber McGowan edged classmate Jessica Brown to win the 400-meter race, while her twin, Shonda Brown, cruised to victory in the 400-meter hurdles. Finally, the 4×400 relay team of sophomore Linda Trotter, Jessica Brown, freshman Christina Cossell, and Shonda Brown dominated the competition to garner another first place finish for the Red.

In the field, sophomore Sheeba Ibidunni won the shot put and took second place in the hammer. Junior co-captain Stacey Nadolny won the discus, and freshman Shawna Rossini earned gold in the high jump. Rounding out the field events were sophomore Katie Regan, who finished tied for first in the pole vault, and Sophomore Karen Snyder, who won the triple jump, with seniors Ib Stanley and Kalifa Pilgrim taking second and third in the event, respectively.

Archived article by James Rich