Around the Ivies

With only four teams competing in conference action this week, Penn and Cornell occupy the top-2 spots in the Ivy League standings. Harvard and Princeton took the week off from action leaving a logjam of four teams vying for third place. Dartmouth and Penn participated in non-conference games against Big 5 and America East opponents, respectively. Meanwhile, Columbia and Princeton sit at the bottom of the standings, with the Tigers still winless in Ivy play.

Brown 76, Yale 71

On Saturday night, junior Mark McAndrew exploded for 27 second-half points in Brown’s, (6-11, 1-1 Ivy) 76-71, road win against Yale (5-10, 1-1). McAndrew shot 9-11 from the field, including 4-5 from behind the 3-point line. Brown was down 52-42 with 11:05 remaining in the game. However, a 3-point basket from freshman Colin Aldridge gave the Bears their first lead with 8:01 remaining. In a back-and-forth contest that featured 15 lead changes and nine ties, McAndrew sealed the game with 1:17 remaining scoring on a lay-up. Junior Eric Flato paced the Bulldogs with 23 points. Brown shot 52 percent from the field while the Bulldogs shot 49 percent from the floor.

Penn 93, LaSalle 92

On Thursday night, Penn (10-6, 2-0) played in Big 5 action, edging local rival LaSalle (8-11, 1-4 Atlantic 10) with a 93-92 victory. The game was highly contested with 15 lead changes and five ties. The Quakers overcame a double-digit deficit to secure the home win. Senior Ibrahim Jaabar led the attack for the Quakers with 27 points, seven assists and zero turnovers. Explorer junior Darnell Harris had a game-high 32 points for LaSalle, aided by freshman Rodney Green, who netted 22 points. Penn shot 57 percent from the floor, while the Explorers shot 53 percent. The win gives Penn a 1-1 record in Big 5 action and increases its current winning streak to four, while the Explorers stand at 0-2 in the Philadelphia round robin.

New Hampshire 65, Dartmouth 61

In midweek action, Dartmouth (6-9, 1-1 Ivy) suffered a 65-62 loss to New Hampshire (8-12, 4-5 America East). Once down 49-28 with 17:18 remaining, the Green made a comeback, trailing by only two with seconds left in the game. However, New Hampshire senior Jermaine Anderson’s perfect performance from the charity stripe sealed the game. Anderson finished the contest with a game-high 21 points. Senior Leon Pattman led the Green with 18 points. Classmate Alex Barnett had his second double-double in a row with 16 points and 12 rebounds in 40 minutes of action. New Hampshire recieved 36 bench points compared to the Green’s four. The Green shot 42 percent from the floor while the Wildcats shot at 54 percent.