SOFTBALL | Red Sweeps Ithaca, Splits With Princeton

Last weekend, the softball team headed into two of its final four series of the 2013 season. The Red played cross-town rivals, the Ithaca Bombers, in a two-game series last Thursday at Niemand-Robison Softball Field. The Red swept the Bombers in both games with a score of 4-0 in the first and 9-2 in the second game. After the series with the Bombers, the Red had Friday to recover before entering in a four-game series at home with Ivy League rival Princeton last weekend.

This past Saturday, the Red (20-26, 8-12 Ivy) played the Tigers in the first doubleheader of the weekend. In both games, the Red fell to Princeton in a very hard fought contest. Princeton senior Alex Peyton only gave up two hits in game one, allowing the Tigers to beat the Red with a final score of 3-1. In the second game the Red lead 3-1, however, the Tigers were able to rally and lead 5-3 at the top of the eighth. The Red was able to come back and score two runs, extending the game into extra innings, but was then not able to capitalize and lost the game with a final score of 7-5.

On Sunday, the Red split its second doubleheader. In the first game,  junior Alyson Onyon pitched a 15-inning complete game shutout over the Tigers, allowing the Red to win the contest 1-0. Onyon and Peyton completed the entire game in a battle from the mound, but Peyton gave up a hit by junior Christina Villalon into right field, allowing freshman Meg Parker to bring in the only run of the game.

“The 15-inning game against Princeton, now being the longest game in program history, was one of the toughest games we have ever battled through,” Onyon said. “It feels amazing to have come out on top.”

Princeton won the second game 11-2 in six innings.

The Red will continue into the final part of its season this coming Tuesday April 30 when it travels to Syracuse, N.Y., (20-26) for a 3 p.m. doubleheader. The Red will play Syracuse in this late season doubleheader in the team’s second to last competition of the year. Following the games with Syracuse,  the Red will play in its last series of the season and last doubleheader at home on May 1 against Binghamton.  The Red will close their 2013 season this coming Wednesday at home.

The Red hopes to continue to improve going forward and have an even more successful 2014 season.

“We need to continue to work hard this summer and next fall, getting stronger in the weight room and on the field,” Onyon said.

Original Author: John McGrorty