CUPD Police Car

Michelle Fraling / Sun Staff Photographer

Before Nazaire Stabbing, Ithaca Crimes Form Pattern

While the stabbing of Anthony Nazaire on Cornell’s campus earlier this month received widespread attention from both local and national media outlets, the incident follows several serious crimes earlier this year, similar in nature, that received far less attention.

Ithaca police have responded to shootings and armed robberies within the last year. Although many were shocked when Nazaire was stabbed and killed on Cornell’s campus, his was not the only Ithaca stabbing in the last year — it was just the only fatal one.

Earlier in August, an incident involving a stabbing occured on the 400 block of Eddy Street. The victim was not affiliated with the University and was transported by plane to a regional trauma center due to severe wounds to the abdomen.

Similarly to the stabbing of Nazaire, no information was available about the incident’s perpetrators or suspects responsible for the stabbing.

A different altercation occurred in early May, when Cornell Police responded to reports of an ongoing fight at around 2 a.m. on College Ave., near Myron Taylor Hall, just down the street from where Nazaire was stabbed.

Eric J. Kim ’17 was charged with one count of assault in the second-degree for inflicting “serious physical injuries” on another student who had been trying to diffuse a fight involving a friend, The Sun reported.

Despite the number of witnesses, the Nazaire murder investigation, unlike the investigation of group fight that occurred in May, has so still not yielded any suspects.

13 thoughts on “Before Nazaire Stabbing, Ithaca Crimes Form Pattern

1. Apathetic Cornell!
    I guess we will never know who murdered Anthony Nazaire
    Even with all the witnesses and videos!
    It reveals a lot about the Cornell population and reputation!

2. The headline seems sensationalistic. I mean, one stabbing is one too many. But when talking about stabbings, the headline “Ithaca Crimes Form Pattern” implies more than two stabbings (plus one other fight).

3. Cornell University and Ithaca College (and Tompkins Community College?- still unclear exactly which schools were there) – should suspend the fraternity chapters and/or student groups who both hosted and attended to create pressure to cooperate. Lots of kids seen videotaping but no-one cooperating ? For goodness sake, this was an altercation that resulted in murder – most people who get heated in an argument aren’t packing a knife and certainly wouldn’t consider stabbing another human being!! Whoever thinks it is better to keep quiet and chooses not to help the police investigation doesn’t belong on any college or university campus!! Stop preaching about what you think and let’s pressure the one’s who know!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• I agree. Get the fraternity off the campus until its members come forward with the evidence they have about who murdered a young man right before their eyes.

4. Sorry, where is the “pattern”? The only thing these incidents have in common is that there were three fights, and there were knives used in two of those fights. Your sensationalist earlier paragraph about “shootings and armed robberies” suggests that the Cornell area is some sort of hotbed of violence, when it isn’t. It also has no connection with the three incidents you mention. This article is a complete waste of news space, and it’s idiotically incoherent to boot. Maybe pursue a different line of work, one where you don’t have to think before you spout nonsense?

5. Apathetic Cornell
    are one of many and proud of it!
    Tons of videos and witnesses and no one
    acknowledges their information .
    AND The definition of APATHETIC !

6. Trigger warning: A student was murdered on campus.

Why is CDS not pressuring for videos to be made public? Someone might recognize a suspect.

7. Absolutely incredible that there are no arrests yet.
    How could this be? His friend was also stabbed and survived. Who is covering this up and why? This is an outrage! Where was campus security?

8. Apathetic!!!!
    Look around you at Cornell! Does anyone even smile at you
    as you walk past them???
    Astonishing! No wonder there is an increase in violence!
    That is a fact not an opinion!