Men's Soccer Travels to Vanderbilt

Even though the season is only two games old, the Cornell men’s soccer team is already reaping some dividends.

The Red is currently ranked 21st nationally in Division I in the NSCAA poll, and second in the New York Region Division I of the NCAA poll, just behind the Red Storm of St. John’s.

Now the men will bring their undefeated record (2-0-0) down South this weekend when they participate in the Vanderbilt Invitational tonight and Sunday.

Head coach Bryan Scales mentioned in an interview that the team only practiced twice this week due to the inclement weather. However, the Red only worked on its game — he said Cornell would only concentrate on Vanderbilt and Saint Louis upon arrival in Nashville yesterday.

The Commodores have strung together eight consecutive winning seasons, but not by much — they finished 10-9 last season. Their only returning senior on this young squad will be goalkeeper Mike Fach.

Saint Louis University has been almost as hot as the Big Red so far in the young season, sporting a 2-1-0 record. The Billikens trounced Cal last week by a score of 3-0. Cornell backs will have to look out for junior midfielder David Beck, who notched three points for the second consecutive game.

The action begins tonight when Vandy hosts Cornell at 8:00 PM.

Archived article by Tom McNulty