Booters Defeat Red Dragons, 1-0

If anything, the Cornell men’s soccer team has shown a penchant for last-minute showdowns this season. Almost a third of the team’s 16 matches have been decided by one goal, including an overtime win against Harvard, and a nail-biting double overtime win at Berman against Princeton ten days ago.

Last night was no exception. Against the Red Dragons of Oneota State, the men waited until the last two minutes of the match to score, winning by a score of 1-0 at Oneota. The win brings the Red to .500 on the year, with an 8-8 record.

Senior David Briefel notched the sole goal of the match. At 88:27, Briefel took a pass from fellow senior Jay Rosen, and beat Oneota keeper James Riley for the game-winning goal.

On the other end of the field, sophomore Carlos Rodriguez played the entire match for the Red, and earned his first victory and first shutout in goal. The two other Cornell keepers, sophomores Doug Allen and Andrew Gordon, are out indefinitely. Allen fractured his nose against Army last week, and will require surgery. Gordon also was injured in the Army game, and is sidelined by shoulder problems.

Rosen’s assist gives him ten points in the last three games, which has not been matched by any other player on the team in any three-game stretch. The performance netted Rosen Ivy Player of the Week Honorable Mention.

Senior tri-captain Rick Stimpson was held scoreless in the match. With his assist on Rosen’s goal against Dartmouth, he moved into second place on Cornell’s all-time high scorers list. His advancement to the number-one spot will be dictated against Columbia in the final match of the year.

Furthermore, Stimpson and fellow senior Adam Skumawitz are the overall scoring leaders of the Ivy League, ranked first and second, respectively. Skumawitz is also tied for the second spot in intra-Ivy scoring, two points behind Jay Albers of Yale and Scott Powers of Brown.

Stimpson’s and Skumawitz’s bid to become the leading scorers of the Ivies should make the final game of the season quite interesting, when the Big Red travels to Manhattan on Saturday to take on Columbia.

Archived article by Tom McNulty