Red Travels to Face Two Ivy Crews

Coming off of a great showing last weekend, the women’s crew continues its march towards championships tomorrow with a race against Brown and Columbia in Rhode Island.

Last Saturday, the crew swept every event against two formidable competitors, Penn and Rutgers.

This week, however, the challenge will be even tougher. The Brown crew won the national championships last year, and Columbia is renowned for giving its opposition troubles.

“Both teams, Brown and Columbia have good crews, and it will be a good race” said head coach Melanie Onufrieff. “I want our guys to get faster and improve in this meet. I made a few small switches in the lineup just by watching the crews change and progress, but nothing major.”

Onufrieff also realizes that the championships are rapidly approaching and the team’s boats must really focus on perfecting their stroke.

“I hope this race is another positive step forward towards championships next month,” commented Onufrieff.

In other action, the men’s heavyweight crew vies for the Carnegie Cup this against Princeton and Yale this weekend.

Last year, the Red suffered defeat to Princeton by less than a second. This year, the team has its eyes set on claiming the cup. The meet will be held on Cayuga Inlet.

The lightweight team is participating in the Baggeley Bowl this weekend. It will face Dartmouth tomorrow, also on Cayuga Inlet.

Archived article by Mark Travers